The Communications Specialist works under the guidance of the Director and in close collaboration with board, program and projects’ staff of the AWN as required. He/She supports the program staff in the field of project related communications and advocacy efforts.
Responsibilities and Duties
· Develop and implement the AWN Communication Strategy and Plan (including internal and external communication)
· supervise the design and maintain the AWN Website and provide proper information with approval of Director for the website, Facebook and other means of communications that AWN uses
· Ensures effective flow of information from AWN to the public through media and other stakeholders; In close collaboration with the AWN higher management , oversee the use of AWN’s branding and style in all areas of AWN work
· Prepares speeches or press releases and presentation as AWN Communications Strategy supports
· Draft and produce press releases, advisories, background information, brochures, media kits, Success stories to inform media and the general public. Identify effective channels for dissemination of all information products to relevant target audiences and supervise distribution.
· develop and success story and publications and draft substantive information contributing to debates or discussions on key development issues
· Coordinate and manage AWN publication to make sure that the content are gender sensitize
· Makes sure that public information campaigns of AWN are launched and designed in proper manner and will have impact evaluation of each complain.
· Maintenance of increased coverage and understanding of the AWN work in the country to stakeholders. Support communications planning in programmes, initiatives, and other AWN’s activities, especially through assist on written (printed and electronic) communications related to the work and outputs of programmes and initiatives
· Organize and design roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches etc.
· Responsible to develop an action plan for smooth implementation of AWN’s Communications Strategy
· Responsible to develop branding policy for AWN
· Responsible to present AWN’s Communications Strategy to AWN Kabul and provincial staff, board members and core members for smooth implementation of the strategy
Following the United Nations fourth World Conference on women in Beijing-china, which was attended by group of Afghan women from various organizations and UN agencies, the idea of establishing a network to promote unity and cooperation among Afghan women was born.
The Afghan Women’s Network (AWN) founded in 1995 is a cornerstone of Afghanistan’s fledging women’s movement, serving as a well-established network for the growing number of women’s organizations and individual members operating in the country. AWN has had a strong presence in several Afghan provinces through AWN’s secretariat in Kabul, Herat, Jalalabad and other provinces through its members. AWN fulfills the role of a network of organizations, as well as undertaking its own Advocacy function, addressing issues such as gender-based violence, youth empowerment and girl’s education.
The operating environment for women’s organizations in Afghanistan is rapidly evolving, as reconstruction and development efforts continuous with varying rates of success amidst an unstable peace and shifting religious, political and social contexts facing women and girls. AWN sits at the epicenter of this environment, representing the interests of over 117 member organizations
Job Title : Communication Specialist
Required Qualifications and Experience:
§ Bachelor degree in Journalism, Communication Studies and other relevant subjects is required. A Master degree will be an added value.
§ At least Five years of practical working experience in the field of communications, data management and journalism.
§ Interest in and aptitude for communication and public awareness activities.
§ Shall be fully aware of gender issues and sensitivities
§ Personal interest, commitment, efficiency, flexibility, and willingness to work with a highly motivated team of professionals
§ Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with other colleagues from various cultures and professional backgrounds
§ Excellent knowledge of computer in Ms Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Website, Facebook and Twitter Management
§ Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Dari, Pashto and English languages.
§ Ability to represent AWN and put arguments based on organizations mandate and vision as and when asked
§ Ability to work under pressure and short deadlines
§ Ability to provide support and necessary advise to AWN management and board members for better interaction with media
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Applications meeting the above requirement will be entertained only.
- Only the short listed candidates will be notified.
- AWN reserves the right to appoint a selected candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Interested candidates, who meet the above-mentioned requirements, should submit an up-to-date Resume/CV, with a Letter of Interest, via email to the following e-mail address: